According to Gartner, the public cloud services market grew by 17.5 percent in 2019 ($214.3 billion up from $182.4 billion in 2018).
As cloud investments will continue to surge in the future, organisations would face a big challenge of managing cloud security risks. Here are a few trends that will shape cloud security in 2020:
- Hybrid Cloud
Hybrid Cloud represents a cloud computing environment consisting of on-premise (private) cloud and third-party (public) cloud. The benefit of using of hybrid cloud is that there is no single point of failure. More organisations would adopt the hybrid cloud model in 2020.
- Adoption of open standard
The increase adoption of open data and application standards such as SPIX and TAXII will enhance data protection this year. Companies failing to adopt to such standards will face the risk of losing data visibility.
- Cloud management players will focus on cloud security
After attacks such as Capital one, cloud management players (VMare, Cloudamize etc) face the risk of failing to manage cloud security. Cross cloud management providers must and will acquire security capabilities that stretch beyond access management and identity.
- Cloud security
Cloud adoption dominates IT investments and businesses need to protect themselves and their customers from aggressive cyber-related exposure risks. Here are some of the steps companies need to adopt to ensure cloud security at organisation level.
- Revising development strategy from ground-up while keeping cloud considerations in mind. Moving security to the early stages of development, also known as ‘shifting left’ with security in DevSec Ops is one such example.
- Rebuilding security policies
- Leveraging available security controls. These controls can help organisations provide additional visibility in cloud environments.
- Educating your employees. At the basic level, ensure that the employees understand how to spot a cyber threat and what they need to do in case of an attack.
Want to analyse vulnerabilities in your cloud and do not know where to start?
Privasec consultants for years, have been providing tailored cloud security assessment requirements that help businesses identify, manage, measure and report on your information security compliance requirements. Our cloud security services include:
- Cloud Security Assessment (CSA)
- STAR CSA Certification
- Cloud Vendor Governance and Compliance Audits
- Private, Public, Hybrid Cloud Security Strategy Definition
- Cloud Security Health Check